One Year Post ACL Tear

One of things I love the most about this blog lately is how many visitors I get looking for information about ACL injuries. I mentioned way back when that as soon as I found out my ACL was torn and I needed surgery I started Googling and found no first hand accounts. To start out this one year look back we are going to begin at the top:

April 25th 2013: Played in a soccer game, heard a pop, pretended everything was good in the hood.

April 26th 2013: Found out the ACL was indeed no longer one ligament – Side Lined and Getting Ripped

April 28th 2013: First work out after blowing out my knee – So Many Friends

May 20th 2013: Day before surgery – Date Night in Tuscany and Surgery Tomorrow

May 21st 2013: Surgery

May 28th 2013: One week post surgery and the first look into post ACL surgery life (this is one of the most popular posts on my blog!) – Week 1 Post ACL Surgery

May 30th 2013: Don’t forget to appreciate the little things in life

June 5th 2013: First cardio work out and being able to drive again – Getting Back Into The Groove

June 10th 2013: Getting back to the office – Back to Work

June 20th 2013: One Month Check In

August 22nd 2013: Three Month Check In

September 20th 2013: Five Months Check In / First Run

October 30th 2013: Started marathon training

November 12th 2013: Ran a 10k with friends and took it easy, felt good to be back!

December 16th 2013: I ran 20 miles for marathon training!

January 9th 2013: Tweaked my IT band a bit : (

February 10th 2013: Up and running again, also ran a 5k with a friend and helped her break 30 minutes

March 9th 2013: I ran a marathon

So the real question is where am I now. If I told you I was 100% better I would be lying. My knee doesn’t keep me from doing anything but it does remind me that it is not what it once was. If I sit with my legs tucked under me and then stand up I feel an immediate weird sore / tightness in my knee. My leg falls asleep really quickly when I am sitting cross legged and it will still buckle from time to time. My hamstring (the one that the graft was taken from) is still not up to its full strength. I discovered this recently while hanging from a pull up bar and tried to pull my feet up to my bum. My left one went up no problem but the right hit a stopping point and felt super weird and weak. After speaking with numerous personal trainer, running coaches, and physical therapists, the general consensus is that squats and lunges are fantastic. BUT that until my hamstring and my balance is 100% I should not be doing weight bearing versions of these exercises. I definitely pushed it early on trying to use weight to strengthen everything. Body weight exercises and balance exercises will help you so so much. When you finish physical therapy get your work outs printed out for you and keep them up. I didn’t and that is when my IT band fell apart. When I first started running again 6 mo after surgery I felt SO strong. 3 or 4 months in and al the hard work I had done rehabbing was gone. Do not make my mistake, keep up with the PT.

Okay I am not sure what else to say other than it gets better. Life does go on. I want to open the floor to all of you. Ask any of your questions that you may have about recovery in the comments, I promise to answer every single one of them.

18 comments for “One Year Post ACL Tear

1. April 25, 2014 at 10:36 am

So I’m a little late on getting back to you on your ankle. Here’s what my Physical Therapist has to say: “When your body overcompensates for pain in one area, it will continue to do so even when the pain goes away. http://t.co/S180hSPsfn” So your opposite leg is more likely to get injured unless you stretch, foam roll, and do workouts which focus on functional movement. If sent more info just hit me up on twitter.

2. April 25, 2014 at 12:55 pm

I can’t believe its been a year! And man how you have come off your injury, its so great! I’m glad you’ve shared..because I know if this ever happens to me I’ll have it covered and come to you for help!

• April 28, 2014 at 11:38 am

Crazy right. I definitely hope some people find this all informative : )
      Megan recently posted…One Year Post ACL TearMy Profile

3. April 25, 2014 at 2:01 pm

has it really already been a year!?!?!? sheesh lady, you have done SO fricken much since the ACL tear. Injuries stink (as I am learning) but I love how positive you were in all those posts and how you really did try new things and focus on that. I need to keep that in mind. As much as I hate foam rolling, every second on that thing counts. Just as did your PT.

No more ripping or tearing of things!
    Lillian recently posted…Taking time to heal (and enjoy it)My Profile

• April 28, 2014 at 11:38 am

I tend to give myself a pity party then realize I can’t do anything about it. Lucky for all of you guys Brennan tends to get to see the pity party and then an hour later I write something uplifting haha
      Megan recently posted…One Year Post ACL TearMy Profile

4. April 25, 2014 at 11:51 pm

Wowza, a whole year. This time last year you and I were about to meet for the first time, becoming life long lovers. You’ve come hellllaaa far and can still run like a boss. I’m glad you are the one to post this info and now people come to YOU to learn about this. Totally random, but Lily’s comment with the words “ripping and tearing” make me think of this…

Please watch that..all of it. HAHA.
    Brittany recently posted…Uncommonly Delicious PairingsMy Profile

• April 28, 2014 at 11:41 am

I know! Happy one year real life meeting anniversary my little nugget. HA I love tosh, fantastic pick!
      Megan recently posted…One Year Post ACL TearMy Profile

5. May 1, 2014 at 11:27 am

I honestly can’t believe it’s been a year already!!! You definitely are back to it which is awesome! Nothing like marathoning less than a year after!!!
    Nikki recently posted…Bear With MeMy Profile

• May 27, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Thanks Nikki! The marathon was definitely one of those “satisfaction now, pay the consequence later” type of life choice I made. Oh well, it is over and I get to skip ANOTHER summer of running in DC. Not the worst thing ever, it gets so much here!
      Megan recently posted…Long weekends are the bestMy Profile

6. May 18, 2014 at 9:51 am

Sounds like you came through it pretty well! Quite an ordeal, however. I’ve been fortunate not to have gone through this (yet). But my dog (german shepherd mix) has a partially torn ACL… not quite the same but I feel for her anyhow. She’s a trooper. Best of luck to you.
    Randy recently posted…My StoryMy Profile

• May 27, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Ah! I am so sorry to hear that. It would break my heart if Sasha (my GSD) had to go through something like this!
      Megan recently posted…Long weekends are the bestMy Profile

7. May 31, 2014 at 1:13 am

Thank you for some other informative web site.
    The place else may I am getting that type of info written in such
    a perfect method? I’ve a project that I’m just now running
    on, and I have been at the look out for such information.
    Panda Cheats recently posted…Panda CheatsMy Profile

8. June 25, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Have you ever considered about including a little bit more than just
    your articles? I mean, what you say is valuable and everything.

However think about if you added some great visuals or video clips to give
    your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with pics and
    video clips, this site could undeniably be one of the most beneficial in its niche.
    Terrific blog!
    churchill insurance claims recently posted…churchill insurance claimsMy Profile

9. July 12, 2014 at 2:14 am

Hello tɦere! This post couldn’t be wriutten mսch betteг!

Looking theough this post reminds mе of my previous roommate!
    Нe continually kept preaching aboput thiѕ.
    Ι am going to send this post to him. Pretty ѕure he’ll Һave a
    great read. Thanks for sharing!
    chobani michaels Coupons online recently posted…chobani michaels Coupons onlineMy Profile

10. July 29, 2014 at 10:23 am

bookmarked!!, Ӏ love yοur blog!
    coupons for Nabisco munch packs recently posted…coupons for Nabisco munch packsMy Profile

11. September 18, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Thank you for the recap! I am at 8 months post-op and totally feel you – there are still things here and there that remind me that my other knee isn’t 100%. I am starting to train for a half marathon soon, and it’s great to see how you got there after your ACL op.
    Nina recently posted…ACL Post-Surgery 8 MonthsMy Profile

12. November 6, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Well I’ve made it to 16 days post-surgery. (ACL reconstruction with hamstring graft) They have me walking in the brace now without the crutches. I can do that for a few blocks before it gets too sore. Biggest thing they are doing in PT is range of motion and electro-therapy for my quad. I’ve lost so much muscle in my quad and calf compared to the good leg. Frustrating!

Thankful though I had a good surgeon at GW here in DC, and also the PT people there. They genuinely seem to care.

Only thing really bothering me now, besides the general pain in rehab, is that every morning it really hurts. How long did you sleep in your brace after surgery?

Thx again – Chris