Whole 30 Here I Come

I hosted a dinner party last night with all of my girlfriends to celebrate having my own apartment. ham greenbeans potatoesI was chatting with one of them and she mentioned she was starting the Whole 30 program on Monday. I was intrigued but then thought about what I had coming up in the next 30 days and left it at that. My very wise roomie from the past said that no matter what it will never be convenient to do 30 days of anything. There will always be special events and things that will tempt you so if you want to do it you just have to go for it. That being said I have decided to do the Whole 30 Program starting on Monday as well. The special events that are falling in this 30 day window for me include my birthday (May 7th) and a 5 day trip to Miami with work (May 8th – 12th). Hey it happens, I can learn to celebrate without booze : )

So what is Whole 30? whole30I took some notes and headed to the grocery store with my new notebook to shop. I started using this notebook this week and love it! I wrote all the recipes that I made for my girls night and I was able to add in my notes about the recipes too! I plan on using it to write down grocery lists and recipes for the most part. It may turn into a journal too but only time will tell.

I came back from the grocery store prepared to make some food. I am a big fan of having my breakfast ready to go in the morning so I tend to make big egg casseroles. I have a few recipes on the blog already, here is one: veggie burger & cheese. For this egg bake I used mushrooms, green beans, broccoli, spinach, tomatoes, salt, pepper, garlic, and some seasoned salt. All mixed together with 18 eggs for a weeks worth of breakfast.egg4I started out sautéing the vegetables and then mixed in the eggs.egg1I baked everything at 425F for 35 minutes.egg5I am a sucker for ketchup so not using ketchup will be pretty sad for the next month. I may go and check out some of the organic no sugar added ketchups and see what the ingredient list looks like.

On the menu for the week are tons of fruits and veggies, steak, chicken, and turkey breast filets. I figure I won’t be eating out much so I might as well spoil myself with a bunch of different types of food. I bought oranges, kiwi, banana, and melon for the week! On top of a copious amount of vegetables.

I am sure that the next 30 days will be tough but I will stick to it. Have you ever done Whole 30? How did you feel after?

9 comments for “Whole 30 Here I Come

1. April 21, 2014 at 8:36 am

Is that ham and pineapple???? ohhhhh this speaks to me.

What is whole 30? All i know is that on your notebook is says no to dairy, wine, and carrots and those are like… staples for me. BUT your omelet breakfast creation looks amazing. 30 days is a heck of a long time to do a special diet, but if there is anyone that can do it, it is probably you. Kudos to you for trying it out and good luck with it during those times you got stuff going on (like your buuuuuurfday!)

kiwis. i want some now. i haven’t had those in so freakin long!
    Lillian recently posted…Citrus Spring Pound Cake: with a can of popMy Profile

• April 21, 2014 at 8:48 am

You can totally eat carrots! I sum it up as cutting out gluten, dairy, and booze. My stomach lately is a bloat monster and Whole 30 started as a way to cut out common allergens and then when you are done you try to add them back in and you can easy peasy figure out exactly what was causing an upset stomach. I will be eating lots of meat, eggs, vegetables, and fruit. It seems to me at a glance a little bit stricter version of Paleo. My gut has been a real pain lately so that is a big reason for this too!

And yes kiwi! My friend made a fancy brazilian drink when them on Saturday and when I went to the grocery store they were super cheap so I scooped a bunch of them!

2. April 21, 2014 at 9:14 am

GOOD LUCK on your Whole 30 challenge! I’m eating in a similarly way (low carbs, medium protein, high fat) and I had to laugh when I hit your line about ketchup. SO TRUE. I put ketchup on almost everything and the struggle is real. LOL ;)

BUT, I had a delish egg-tastic breakfast (similar to yours) and survived sans ketchup. Win!

Happy Monday!
    Emily (@FitandFreeEmily) recently posted…#TransparentTuesday, the bitch-face editionMy Profile

• April 21, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Thanks Emily!! I went for hot sauce this AM. Ingredients were just pepper and vinegar so I was in the clear. I like that it is 30 days. I can do anything for 30 days! I have no doubt I will reintroduce food but I bet you I will chill with dairy and gluten because I find that having a flat belly is far more enjoyable than being bloated all the time. Plus I could use a break from booze, wine has been coursing my veins a lot lately : )
      Megan recently posted…Whole 30 Here I ComeMy Profile

3. April 21, 2014 at 12:26 pm

I’ve never done the “Whole 30″ but I eat whole foods daily and rarely eat out soooo…kinda!? HA. It’s easy when you’re a vegan. I’m excited for ya.
    Brittany recently posted…Organic vs. Conventional Coffee – Starbucks vs. Local Coffee – & Which Decaf Beans you Should BuyMy Profile

• April 21, 2014 at 1:01 pm

You would be such a sad bear with out sugar : ) I have been a little too willy nilly with snacking lately and the fact that I am CONSTANTLY BROKEN is getting old. I’m fluffing out a little and it’s not cool. 30 days to reset and refocus will be great!
      Megan recently posted…Whole 30 Here I ComeMy Profile

4. April 21, 2014 at 9:25 pm

I’m not sure I could give up wine for 30 days : )
    Good luck and can’t wait to hear all about it!
    Luv What You Do recently posted…Shine On!My Profile

5. April 23, 2014 at 8:24 am

I was considering this whole 30 thing until I read the no ketchup part!! I can’t do that. Ketchup makes things I don’t like tolerable! haha
    Nikki recently posted…Eat ALL the SugarMy Profile

6. Cassi
    April 23, 2014 at 8:55 am

So exciting! I did a Whole30 in February, and it was one of the hardest/best things I’ve ever done. HUGE sense of accomplishment. I’ve been flirting with the idea of doing another…