Juice Cleanse, PreCleanse, Day 1

Ahh the mythical juice cleanse. I have read about them a million different times and am finally going to give it a whirl. On one of my last days of my previous job I went to lunch at South Block Cafe in Clarendon. I had a turkey and guacamole panini and it was heavenly.I did a little website stalking and reached out to the owner, Amir, and I am all set to start my very first juice cleanse on Monday. On top of some rockstar paninis South Block Cafe has a huge menu of vegan and vegetarian friendly options. They are best known for their smoothies, juices, and acai bowls {full menu}.

According to their juice cleanse guidance I will need to stick to pretty simple food over the weekend.HowToCleanseI would be lying if I said this would be easy. With the snow storm that rolled through the area I haven’t left my house since Wednesday : ) The only food I have in the house is kale, broccoli (fresh and frozen), a tiny bit of corn, and 2 bananas. This morning for breakfast I had oatmeal and flax made with water and a banana. To spice up the oatmeal I added some vanilla extract and nutmeg. I missed my muscle milk version : (

When I decided to do a cleanse I didn’t realize how difficult it would be to do a 3 day pre cleanse, 3 day cleanse, and then an additional 3 days of reintroducing food. I will not be able to be 100% with the pre and post cleanse but I plan on sticking pretty close to it. Monday is the boys birthday and I have some friends in town for the latter half of next week. The game plan is to eat mostly fruits and veggies all weekend and ditch caffeine. There is a 90% chance I will be drinking some beer on Sunday at Bren’s birthday celebration. I will not cheat on the juices Mon – Wed and then Thursday and Friday I will be out and about with friends and will order salads but there may be a wee bit of wine in the mix too. I am trying! It is hard to find 9 days free of plans (cry me a river right, being this popular is tough ha!).

I don’t doubt I will get a little crabby, the idea of not chewing food for three days makes me cry a little inside but I am actually really excited to do this. I don’t plan on turning this blog into a juice diary for the next 9 days but I will add a little blurb on how I am doing when I post.

In non juicing related topics how about I share my new favorite core work out and a stellar crock pot recipe I ate all week. I finished it off last night and was sad realizing it was my last meal with meat until next weekend.

Sausage and Kale Crock Sensation

- four small red potatoes, cut into quarters / sixths
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 small white onion, sliced
- 1 dozen baby carrots cut in half or thirds
- large handful of kale
- 1 package of sausage
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups beef broth
- salt
- pepper
- garlicCrockCollage1Slice and dice everything and throw it in your crockpot, cover with the broth and throw in the slow cooker for 4 hours on high. I ate this through out the week with a few different add ins: fresh kale, quinoa pasta {holy amazing}, and broccoli. I preferred taking a heaping scoop and putting it in a pot with my add ons. Bring it up to a boil and simmer for a few minutes and it is as good as new.CrockpotCollage2All in all this was a great meal to eat a few times over the course of the week. I went nuts and threw feta on it once and that was pretty stinking delicious too!

To change the topic one last time my new favorite core work out goes as follows:corequickieMake sure that you do everything slowwww and focus on keeping your core tight and imagine pulling your belly button down towards your spine. We do core to keep it tight, not to build ab muscles that stick out! I do 2 rounds right now. I am working my way up to 3, my core is on fire by the end of 2 so far. Oh and check out this run:watchThis is my first sub 9 average in a long while. My level of effort was pretty low too. Pretty good feeling! I snuck in another 5 miler yesterday in the rain / sleet / snow / hail. My average was 9:30 and I count that as a win because I was doing hills galore and galloping around to avoid snow piles, snow walls, ice, slush, and small ponds that seemed to have formed everywhere.

What is the last thing you made in your crock pot?
Tell me about your last great run.
Have you ever tried quinoa pasta?

23 comments for “Juice Cleanse, PreCleanse, Day 1

1. February 14, 2014 at 8:59 am

The last thing I made in zee crocka pota was a pulled pork loin…. mhmmm super tasty. I have not tried this pasta you speak of but it looks tasty! And so does your creation in the crock pot — don’t you just love them?

Juice cleanse sound soooo healthy but I dont know if I oculd do it…. I love my bread and food in general….

YAY for that run!!! You are doing great Megan — I can’t wait for your marathon!!!! And HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! XOXOXO
    Lillian recently posted…Valentine, You Make Me LaughMy Profile

2. February 14, 2014 at 9:15 am

This kind of cleanse sounds reasonable and healthy! The ones that scare me are the ones where you only drink liquid and only get in 400 calories or something. Or that master cleanse bs with lemon juice and cayenne for 10 days. So unhealthy, and triple unhealthy if you’re running a ton. Good luck with sticking to it and may your juice be delicious ;)
    Emmeline@RunForThePizza recently posted…The vortexMy Profile

• February 19, 2014 at 9:53 pm

So I am about to go to bed after the 3 days and I feel great. I’m colder than normal but I am not sure if that has to do with the juice. This cleanse had about 1200 calories a day, which was a huge selling point for me.
      Megan recently posted…Juice Cleanse, PreCleanse, Day 1My Profile

3. February 14, 2014 at 9:53 am

I have always wanted to try that place, can we go there sometime? I can’t wait to see how these juices are. i honestly wish I could afford juices, starting my day with one would be ideal
    Alex @ therunwithin recently posted…Certified Nada.My Profile

• February 19, 2014 at 9:54 pm

We can definitely go sometime, at home juicing isn’t that bad. When the base is carrots, beets, or cucumbers it is really cheap. You get a ton of juice out of them. One of the juices I have been drinking has pineapple and mint and holy cow am I in heaven. I see myself ripping through pineapples this summer.
      Megan recently posted…Juice Cleanse, PreCleanse, Day 1My Profile

4. Jeff
    February 14, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Me and my girl started a 3 day cleanse today. I got a nice juicer a few weeks ago and shes been wanting to do a cleanse since. I have no problem drinking the juices, i love them and fills me with energy. Good luck on yours, im two juices down for the day and about to run to the produce stand to get more veggies!

• February 19, 2014 at 9:55 pm

I hope you cleanse went well!! Mine went by much quicker than I expected. I am still pretty excited for breakfast tomorrow though : )
      Megan recently posted…Juice Cleanse, PreCleanse, Day 1My Profile

5. February 14, 2014 at 3:55 pm

HAHAHA “it’s tough being this popular” cracked me up. Good luck with the cleanse!!!! I do not think I could handle that, I think I like chewing things…
    Ashley recently posted…Not Worth ItMy Profile

• February 19, 2014 at 9:56 pm

I have had to stop myself from sucking / gnawing on the insides of my cheeks. I also brush my teeth every opportunity I have. I feel like my mouth is just shut more. Weird I know.
      Megan recently posted…Juice Cleanse, PreCleanse, Day 1My Profile

6. February 14, 2014 at 11:41 pm

Oh what don’t I make in my crockpot…ha ha!
    I”ve thought about cleanses. Let us know how the running goes with just the juices.
    Luv What You Do recently posted…Five for Friday XVIIMy Profile

• February 19, 2014 at 9:57 pm

You and I are one in the same with our crocks! Running Tuesday was great, I am running at 5am tomorrow and won’t eat before so I am curious how my energy will be for that after 3 days of juicing. I will definitely do a full write up, hopefully this weekend!
      Megan recently posted…Juice Cleanse, PreCleanse, Day 1My Profile

7. February 18, 2014 at 7:29 am

How do you actually have the time to prepare this stuff? Looks real good!!!!
    Mostafa recently posted…New Start to 2014My Profile

• February 19, 2014 at 9:58 pm

I kid you not this meal took me about 10 minutes (if that) to throw in the crock! Then you just let it do it’s magic over night (I normally run mine 10pm – 6am), and boom fabulous food for a few meals. I promise it is not hard. Taking pictures takes longer than the prep!
      Megan recently posted…Juice Cleanse, PreCleanse, Day 1My Profile

8. February 18, 2014 at 8:25 pm

Last thing I made was a quinoa dish :) Hope the cleanse treats you well!
    Nikki recently posted…Week 2 Recap + Swim-spirationMy Profile

9. February 18, 2014 at 10:31 pm

I love quinoa pasta!! It’s legit. That run is also legit, and you already know about my last awesome run!! WHOOOOP. JUICE BABYYY.

• February 19, 2014 at 9:59 pm

I’m going to bring you to South Block when you are here. So many vegan options and the juices and smoothies are hella delicious. We are probably going to gain about 10lbs in a week. I CANT WAIT.
      Megan recently posted…Juice Cleanse, PreCleanse, Day 1My Profile

10. February 19, 2014 at 10:45 am

I don’t think I could ever do a cleanse like that but my dad is doing one now and he tells me all the time that he feels better than he has in years. Your food does look pretty amazing that you have on here though
    Monica recently posted…The Best BCAA SupplementMy Profile

• February 19, 2014 at 10:00 pm

I don’t think I would enjoy anything more than 3 days. I just finished day 3 (so excited for breakfast in the morning!) and think I would have lost steam if it was for 5 days.
      Megan recently posted…Juice Cleanse, PreCleanse, Day 1My Profile

11. February 21, 2014 at 7:11 am

How did you like the cleanse? I’ve been considering
    Hailey recently posted…Coconut Cashew Almond ButterMy Profile

12. February 24, 2014 at 7:55 am

I want to read more about this cleanse!

& so happy you’re getting back into your running groove! *Virtual high five* & running in the snow is no joke…I would subtract at least a minute off your pace due to extreme weather conditions. ;) I’m terrified of the ice so if I think there’s even a chance I’ll be dodging patches of the frozen stuff I head to the treadmill.

13. February 24, 2014 at 3:13 pm

can’t wait to hear how the cleanse went!
    mary @ minutes per mile recently posted…whirlwind weekend + 10-miler recapMy Profile