Recovering My Equilibrium

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that everyone reading this has at some point or another experienced change(s) that has thrown them off balance. It is a part of life and constantly forces us to reevaluate and react. As I mentioned a few posts back I am starting a new job on Thursday. I cleaned out my office today and will be in tomorrow to finish up some house keeping things and say goodbye. It is bittersweet leaving my work family and I will miss them dearly. However, I am beyond exciting to switch back on my brain. All of my projects ended Dec 20th, as I headed to my parents for the holidays. Once I came back to work I was just sort of floating around but had no real assignments. Enter BOREDOM. Add in a bum IT band and my equilibrium was crazy out of whack.20140202_121833This week is a huge turning point for me mentally. I have one week of successful running behind me and I am about to join a really cool company that is going to challenge me every day. I decided to start today with a run to really ingrain that things will be okay and I will find that happy balance again, so far today has been great. The things I have noticed over the last month or so that are totally off are my eating (either way too much or way too little), my enthusiasm for the gym, drinking (I normally drink one night on the weekends but lately I will say yes to wine any night of the week…), sleeping (see the previous item), cooking (has basically been nonexistent), my drive, concentration, and general overall happy. I am not a useless pile of tears or anything and I am still functioning but its been a bit harder to “do” things. Perfect example… I had lots of free time this week at work, so what did I do:aptOh you know, decided to draw out the new apartment I am moving into in April and start decorating… There are about a million other things I could have spent my time doing but nope, this is what happened.

All in all I cannot wait to start my new job, keep running, have a mini staycation in dc before Lily’s wedding, and move. I think once this year starts rolling I will find that balance again and ditch this fog. I am definitely ready for it.

What factors in your life have the tendency to throw off your equilibrium?

17 comments for “Recovering My Equilibrium

1. February 4, 2014 at 6:10 pm

well first off, jesus, an apartment that size around here is very rare. or just maybe in my books. dang expensive dc area. that being said, I totally relate and understand this equilibrium feeling. I have to say at least you have a reason, I feel like that gives me some consolation when I am in a rut. I mean now I feel just off but have no really good reason. But that is my ramble. I am excited for you to start your new job, I bet you are too.
    Alex @ therunwithin recently posted…Trade em up Tuesday: Eye Rollin’My Profile

• February 6, 2014 at 6:52 am

Yea its 700 sq ft! I will be having a house warming party / bday party the 2nd weekend in may, consider this your official invite! And yes it is metro accessible!

I think the weather can to be blame too, that shit has been all over!
      Megan recently posted…Recovering My EquilibriumMy Profile

2. February 4, 2014 at 6:26 pm

I am SO EXCITED for you to start the new job. Before I quit my job, I was exactly the same as you described– kinda just restless and unhappy and drinking too much/being unhealthy/not sleeping enough because my work day sucked so bad that I had no motivation do be healthy or productive for the rest of the day! I was so unhappy in that environment. And unfortunately I was a useless pile of tears, haha. You are going to feel SO MUCH BETTER once you start at the new job. Also, that apartment is ballin’! I am so so so happy for you :)
    Ashley recently posted…Cats, Hockey, and BBQMy Profile

3. February 4, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Yessss it’s going to be a good year….I can feel it :)
    Nikki recently posted…Happy Birthday to My Best FriendMy Profile

4. February 4, 2014 at 9:25 pm

I feel you 100% on this. The past few months I’ve felt totally off balanced and in all the ways you listed. The biggest factors for me are eating, sleeping and exercise. I find that when I’m successful in those areas, it’s easier to have a strong, happy foundation. When those are off balance, it takes a lot more effort to be happy and relaxed. Good luck on starting your new job on Thursday! It sounds like you have a lot of great things to look forward to!

• February 6, 2014 at 6:53 am

Thanks Sophie! Spring is just around the corner… fingers crossed that brings good vibes back to the dc metro!
      Megan recently posted…Recovering My EquilibriumMy Profile

5. February 4, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Bahhh so many exciting things going on!!! Let’s hang out soon, okay? Like not this weekend, but asap after that. I know that feeling of just having not a whole lot to do and i hate it. But sometimes it’s nice because it makes us appreciate our busy lives more. And getting a full week of running in is AWESOME. I’m stilling waiting for my leg to feel up to that…
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…Something’s Gotta GiveMy Profile

• February 6, 2014 at 6:54 am

Of course! I can’t wait for you to get healthy again so we can explore some on this area more!
      Megan recently posted…Recovering My EquilibriumMy Profile

6. February 5, 2014 at 9:30 am

Um, I love your new apartment! This is the type of thing that I would totally do… I think it is productive b/c one must plan ahead on interior decor and furniture positions for the utmost-best-living space.

So many changes for you! I love how you have noticed and admit that some things were off-balance and are getting back to your equilibrium… factors that throw me off, not being able to run and actually, winter. I have never been a happy camper with winter, like a tiny seasonal depression creeps in here and there and I just really begin to find everyting so negative. Horrible mental state.

IM SO EXCITED FOR YOU AND YOUR NEW JOB!!! You will rock the challenges and be awesome!

ps I got your RSVP and I love how you used the ‘M’ to be part of your name. :) It made me smile and jump up and down mulitple times.
    Lillian recently posted…A Corny Football PartyMy Profile

• February 5, 2014 at 9:47 am

I couldn’t figure out what the M meant hahah I was like did they make this card just for me?!?!? I loved your invites and will post a thousand pictures soon.

Also I feel you on the winter – since moving to VA and being an outdoor athlete the winter has effected me more than I care to admit. I think it is the lack of time outside in the sun!

7. February 6, 2014 at 1:44 am

I am SO excited for you to start your new job – bah, it will be such a good thing. I hear you on being unbalanced sometimes. Its hard and often we don’t even realize how unbalanced we are until we slow down. I have been drinking A LOT more wine than I used to. I don’t mind it, but now wine is a staple in my kitchen whereas it used to be a rarity. Strange..

This morning I COULD have gotten out of bed and done productive things like go grocery shopping and go for a run, but nope. Instead I made breakfast and coffee, crawled back into bed for THREE HOURS and browsed the internet.. erm, why? Absolutely not idea. So don’t worry, you aren’t the only one who is unproductive.. it happens to all of us sometimes!

GOOD LUCK TOMORROW! Have fun!! xx

• February 6, 2014 at 6:55 am

My bed has been a magnet lately too! I sit down and its like gravity x100000000 and I’m stuck hahah I am happy to say I crawled out to run already today!
      Megan recently posted…Recovering My EquilibriumMy Profile

8. February 6, 2014 at 1:58 am

Congrats on the new job! How exciting. I love that feeling :)

Our equilibrium has definitely been a bit out of whack, socially, financially, and ym husband sprained his ankle last week so things have definitely been a bit out of the ordinary. Hoping to get back into a groove in Feb.
    NZ Muse recently posted…I need your adviceMy Profile

• February 6, 2014 at 6:55 am

Thank you! Oh financially thats a good one! I feel wonky too because of dropping some dough on upcoming vacations… gosh what is up with January this year! Wishing you and the hubster the best and a speedy recovery : )
      Megan recently posted…Recovering My EquilibriumMy Profile

9. February 14, 2014 at 11:36 pm

These are a lot of big changes but very exciting! Best of luck to you with all to come!
    Luv What You Do recently posted…Five for Friday XVIIMy Profile