I am really starting to miss running

First off thanks for all the well wishes on the last post. I am really excited about the new job and enjoyed reading the comments! This is a sad post so feel free to skip it. It’s early and I’m feeling moody.

January 8th I started out my normal week of running. It was a regular Tuesday and after a Monday of rest from a mentally exhausting 20 miler on Sunday I was ready to go. I set out on a 6 mile easy jog and pretended the knee pain wasn’t there and powered through. Thinking better of it I stuck to yoga and weights for the remainder of the week.

The following Tuesday (January 14th) I hopped back on the hamster wheel and banged out 7 miles. It didn’t feel horrible but it didn’t feel right. Now we have hit January 24th. I have been on the elliptical, rowing machine, and power walking on an incline on a treadmill. Basically trying to get an hour or so of cardio in a few days a week so as not to lose too much fitness on this freaking hiatus.

I have always been so naive to the world of injuries. Up until last year with the whole ACL in two pieces bit I have only ever battled blisters and missing toe nails. Easy peasy compared to most runners out there.

I have been feeling really off these last two weeks. I was over 10 weeks into marathon training and was in the swing of things. I ran 4x a week, lifted a few others, and my days were always perfectly planned around my runs. I was so proud of myself for the long runs on the weekend and was feeling almost recovered.

Now this. I am guessing I am not alone with feeling a little lost without my sport of choice. I am sure any athlete would feel the same way. Not knowing when I can run again is the worst. I find myself making worse food choices (nothing crazy) and totally fine with a bit more wine in my week. It leaves me feeling blah. I know that I need to get my shit together if I have any hopes of getting through this marathon in 6 weeks. I can not believe how close it is and how far I am from running this. I AM SO FRUSTRATED.

I am doing everything I can, foam rolling, stretching, doing hip strengthening exercises, doing quad and hamstring exercises, doing yoga, and I even got a sports massage! Why is it that those of us who try so hard to take care of ourselves end up in this stupid predicament. You don’t find a coach potato bitching about a torn ACL.

To end the post on a positive note:

1) I got to work out with Mary yesterday. I really do love having work out buddies. We created two circuits by mixing and matching some of our fav exercises. It was perfectly sweaty {don’t I look freakishly tall?}.mary2) Hollie is in 2nd right now for the Zooma contest for a trip to Napa. If you remember correctly if she wins then she can give away another all expenses paid trip. Do her a solid and go vote for her. Every day {click the picture}.3) I found a new favorite breakfast. 1 egg, 3/4 cup water, 1/2 cup oats {microwave these 3 ingredients for 3 minutes}, topped with 1 tbsp peanut butter, 2 tbsp flax meal, and honey or maple syrup. Mix and enjoy.oatmeal

I’m aware this was just a whiney rant so no questions for you today, just free ball it.

13 comments for “I am really starting to miss running

1. January 24, 2014 at 7:25 am

That is so incredibly frustrating but stay positive! Your eggy oatmeal looks yummy, I’ve never tried putting an egg in my oatmeal but I can always use extra protein :)
    Emmeline@RunForThePizza recently posted…A little advice from my friends?My Profile

2. January 24, 2014 at 9:04 am

Ugh I’m sorry about the whole no running thing :( you know I completely relate. Neither of us can catch a break these days! I can run on my leg but I know it won’t get better if I continue to do so, even though it is infrequent. It’s especially frustrating because we haven’t done anything “wrong” it just happens. I honestly think doing other cardio will help (although maybe try biking? When I had a strained It band this fall that helped and the dreadmill and elliptical aggravated it) and you will be okay for the marathon. You have worked SO hard to come back from surgery. And if it doesn’t work out- you have a bunch of other races to kick ass at! You will get there, I know it.
    Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted…Sharing the LoveMy Profile

3. Tia
    January 24, 2014 at 9:16 am

Megan – Have you tried swimming for rehab? I’m JUST starting to battle with knee pain/feeling “off” (nowhere NEAR what you went through) but swimming always makes me feel better as does weight training. I know the super frustrating feeling of being sidelined by an injury and the subsequent feeling of all of your training disappearing before your eyes…but you’ll get past it! keep kicking ass!!

• January 24, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Tia – I don’t have access to a pool right now unfortunately. Even if I did I can’t swim a ton. I did competitively for 6 years and my shoulders dislocate every stroke now – I can tolerate it for about 30 minutes then I’m done. I was swimming a bit over summer after surgery! I do a ton of weight training right now too! And thank you : )

4. January 24, 2014 at 9:49 am

I;m sorry girl, taking it easy when you are injured is hard BUT SO WORTH IT. I mean I think you know that but I can’t hammer it home anymore. I know they say you lose your fitness but honestly it is better to rest and get stronger than always feel like your body needs that catch up.
    Alex @ therunwithin recently posted…Sisterland: Finding the ExtraordinaryMy Profile

5. January 24, 2014 at 12:03 pm

great workout yesterday! my shoulders are sore :) i’m also a fan of a bit o’ egg in my oatmeal…
    mary @ minutes per mile recently posted…numb run + warm saladMy Profile

• January 24, 2014 at 1:16 pm

I saw it on your blog and then this morning I was like hey why not! I couldn’t taste much of a difference so just fine with me.

6. January 24, 2014 at 10:02 pm

OH, friend! My heart hurts for you! I know what you’re feeling – not being able to run for pretty much all of 2013 was so tough for me…mentally and physically. Saying a prayer for you – Keep taking those rest days & stretching and hopefully in a few weeks we will all be reading about how you’re rocking your runs! I know injuries just suck. There’s no other way to say it. They just suck.

7. January 24, 2014 at 10:02 pm

So you look freaking great…and that has to count for something. Eff you knee..I hate this shit. I still have high hopes for your marathon, but pleaseeee don’t overdo it!! LISTEN to your body!! You’re doing great.
    Brittany recently posted…Cardio ConundrumMy Profile

8. January 25, 2014 at 10:45 am

Oh man Megan, I hear ya! I am SO incredibly naive when it comes to injuries.. I still have a fractured rib and only took 2 weeks off running when the dr. said at least 4..I feel like I may suffer some consequences down the road.

I still have a really good feeling about you finishing your marathon super strong – you are a beast when it comes to race day, but in the mean time its important to be safe (I should say that to myself too)!! Enjoy what you can do for now and once you’re back running you will appreciate listening to your body!

9. January 25, 2014 at 12:39 pm

So jealous that you have a workout buddy! And that is so hard being injured, but you know what you need to do! :)
    Nikki recently posted…Flashback FridayMy Profile

10. January 26, 2014 at 5:38 pm

Hang in there!
    Injuries are so frustrating!!!

Have you reassessed your shoes??? Don’t forget to add tons of glute strength and wishing you the best of luck!

BTW, I know other runners who were able to get their running fix with water running?!
    Luv What You Do recently posted…Five for Friday XVIMy Profile